About Midwifery

About Midwifery

Midwifery is one of the world’s oldest professions. Many people believe that midwives only handle births. In reality, that is only about 10% of a midwife’s job, leaving 90% of our time dedicated to primary and preventative care. As Certified Nurse-Midwives (CNM), we are Master’s educated Registered Nurses with years of training in advanced assessment, pharmacology, and primary care for women from puberty to post-menopause, as well as well-newborn care. While OB/GYN’s, are trained to handle high risk pregnancies and gynecological care needing surgery, certified nurse-midwives are trained in the primary care of women. We can offer traditional or alternative treatment options as well as prescribe medications to treat common problems in many states.

Midwife means “with women.” We at SaraTheMidwife.com strive to be advocates, educators, providers, advisers, and above all, like supportive friends, to be with you no matter the medical/health situation you are handling.


For more information click on the links below:

What is a Midwife?

Definition of Midwifery and Scope of Practice of Certified Nurse-Midwives and Midwives

 International Definition of Midwifery